Saturday, January 25, 2014

Career Goals



For as long as I can remember, I have always been in and around libraries. It is all I have ever wanted to do with my life. I have worked in three different libraries, one public and two academic. I know without a doubt that I want to continue working a public library. For me, I like the relationships and interactions with the patrons in a public library. Each day at the public library brings not only new challenges and experiences, but familiar faces and patrons that I have seen year after year. 

For this reason, I would like to be a young adult/teen reference librarian in a public library setting. I cannot imagine doing anything else with my life. As well as providing reference and readers’ advisory, I would like to plan and host many different programs. 

Another interest of mine is outreach. Where I currently work offers a chance for anyone in the system to help host a monthly book discussion at the local juvenile detention center. Since I have become a full-time staff member, I have been twice. This has really shown me the importance of a librarian/library going out into the public to make a difference. I would like to visit the juvenile detention center as well as other places, such as schools, retirement homes and prisons. 

I am really looking forward to learning the ethics and values of this profession. I love that is profession is solely based on a common goal that works for the betterment of not just individuals,  but the community (and world) at large.

No comments:

Post a Comment