Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Final Reflections on Winter 2014

Wow. What a semester. Working in a library and having my core group of friends all be librarians, I was pretty well prepared for what to expect in grad school. That being said, I learned a lot about what it means, on a philosophical level, to be a librarian. And, although I have had an idea since I was little of what kind of librarian I want to be, it was neat to have a chance to explore different kinds of librarians and libraries. But, it has also reassured me in my choice to be an adult/young adult reference librarian in a large, but not urban, public library. I have essentially grown up in my current place of employment and so,  I look forward to growing and maturing into this profession.

I found myself really drawn to ethics portion of our studies. It really resonates with me on a personal level, because I have always tried to live my life with those principles. It is nice to see that there is a career where they are put at the forefront. Not that the profession is drama or problem free. It is just nice to see that we all strive towards those ethics. I have no doubt that as I learn more and work as a reference librarian, I will continue to understand and change (for the better, hopefully) the ethics on a new levels.

Hearing other perspectives of the librarian blogs that I followed and of my fellow classmates, has really made me stop and think about many of the aspects of the library including, it's role, it's responsibility at large and it's future. I like hearing everyone's thoughts and musings and will definitely continue to mull them over during my time at Wayne State and beyond.

I am also very hopeful about the future of libraries. I believe they will be around for years to come, even if they go through some major transformations. I am excited to be able to participate in the those transformations, whatever they may be.

Ultimately, I enjoyed my first semester here at Wayne State and look forward to all my subsequent semesters!

No comments:

Post a Comment